Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Life's a Bitch. But then you realize you still have to swim in it..

Of course, eventually everyone realizes that life is a series of curve balls. No beef with that. My beef lies when the curve balls hit you in quick succession, which is how it happens in real life.
Early on in my professional life, I had a freak accident which almost cost me my life. I hit a parked 10 wheeler truck in a dark spot towards the end of Coastal Road in Cavite. The collision totalled my car. The actual damage line was from the left front fender, the entire engine block, the windshield, and three-fourths of the entire right side. I was lucky to have hit the truck's rear wheels, which actually saved my life. If I collided a split second earlier my car would have gone underneath it, perhaps decapitating me. A split second later and those steel bars being transported would have impaled me at my chest cavity. And both types of death weren't exactly the way anybody would want to go...
I cleared my head trying to rationalize why it happened. A night later, trying to patch up a lesson from it, I decided on this maxim: "What does not kill me, makes me strong". As if the steel bars that were just three feet away from my chest would provide some sort of headstrong tonic of invincibility..
You would think that it was already good enough for a first and last curve ball. I thought so too. However, while driving up to Davao from Bukidnon three weeks later, a huge chunk of mountain fell on the road I was driving on. It was a huge landslide, easily over a hundred and fifty meters long. And i was just two cars back... we were rescued at 2am the following day..
So, what do you do when you get more than your share of life's curve balls? You call up your insurance agent and book as much life insurance as you can afford. Which was what I did, TWICE. the second one was actually more than double the value of the first. As a sad footnote, I ended up outliving my insurance agent. She took her life 3 years later due to depression. Life really is a bitch.

No comments: