Wednesday, January 5, 2011

perceptions and images

Philippine photography's Anthony Bourdain

I feel very strongly about being unique, one of a kind. I believe that what I do, I do it in my unique way, and unlike any other. However, more and more people have told me that the way I write reminds them about Tony Bourdain. This comparison I truly find flattering.

Tony, for those who are not familiar with him, will associate him with food alone. In much the same way that those who have only heard of me will associate me strictly with photography. Those who follow Tony will easily realise that food is only the handle, but the entire package has more to do with his insights into the extraordinary life of seemingly ordinary mortals. Those who have had the opportunity to interact with me, both in the virtual world and in the real world, will also realise that photography is also only my handle, but the complete package has more to do with living, in the quality we want, with the resources that we have been afforded. It is never about how expensive something is, but rather it is about how much enjoyment and fulfillment we derive from what is in front of us.

Lilybeth, who sees my poster virtually everyday, has been bugging me to change my very formal “coat and tie” portrait to something she thinks resembles my persona more closely. So, just yesterday, we finally had a photo session and this is what came out of it.

I think it is a look that Tony might approve of.


Jesus Paul C. Yan
for The Paul Yan Chronicles
photo credits:
Photography      LilyBeth T. Orencia
Styling               Lesley Tiu of Shuji Kida Salon
Lighting Design  Paul Yan
Cigar                Cohiba Edicion Limitada, 2003, Torpedo
Jacket               Banana Republic, Aviator, Distressed;
                         from the private collection of Dr. Aris Dungo
Eyewear            Photocromic lenses provided by Spider
Lights                Provided by D' 24K Foto




3 comments:

minicooper29 said...

post na yan sa pisbuk!!!

Paul Yan said...

di ako marunong!!!

hahaha

LiletC said...

I left you a message on your gmail account. Please open and read it. Thanks.