Monday, December 13, 2010

My Boracay

A place for solitude in the middle of somewhere.

Thirty years ago, it was the aviary in Greenbelt.  (yes victoria, there used to be a huge aviary where the entire Greenbelt park now sits)  A place of quiet in the middle of somewhere.  I used to walk along it's wooden elevated platforms every chance i'd get, and just look at the giant ferns and the birds I would again only see when I visited Jurong.  I was at least a year away from receiving my first SLR from my dad, and looking was my best way of preserving the memories then.

Jurong was the place I went to on my first ever trip outside the country.  The photograph of flamingos through grass reeds (circa 1987) was one of my first exhibit prints (exhibited at National Photography Week 1989), and it's visual appeal is still enduring.  Jurong, a place of quiet in the middle of somewhere.
  http://thepaulyanchronicles.multiply.com/photos/album/1/unseen_details_of_the_Philippines#photo=7

Fifteen years ago, it was Kowloon Park within the Golden Mile.  (victoria, if you do not know where the golden mile is, then you are not a certified pinoy shopper)  Another quiet place in the middle of somewhere.  I only had the chance to visit once, but I remembered shooting some very stunning photos of roses, one of two kinds of flowers my mom loved, and koi, which was my dad's passion.

Twelve years ago, it was the lagoons of Safari World (victoria, if you will join the paul yan experience on March 25-29, you will see Safari World firsthand) and their huge arapaimas that was my quiet place.  I had never seen as many large arapaimas converge in a single place until then, and I was mesmerized.

Since 2006, I have associated Boracay with the same concepts as those.  My quiet place.  My point of solitude.  This time around however, I brought my camera and captured some private images which I will now share with you.  This is my kind of photography; private, introspective, and with the ability to capture the moment the way I interpret it.

Please appreciate it in the context I have lain.

Posts, of course, are always welcome.







Jesus Paul C. Yan
for The Paul Yan Chronicles 
ps.  requests for exhibit prints will be arranged through my online team.

2 comments:

minicooper29 said...

very inspiring!

Paul Yan said...

the goal of a good photograph is to inspire a feeling, or an action.

im glad these photographs have inspired someone. :)

paul yan