Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Pain of a Word Called Solitude (rated PG-18)

We are social creatures after all.

I am not an exception.
Through the years, I have learned to crawl into an emotional cubbyhole when everyone else has left.

I have learned to be in solitude, even when in the midst of a crowd.

Being in solitude meant that I could reserve my innermost feelings to be shared with the one person I cared to be with. To be open to only one person; and not to share that intensity with anyone else.

Occasionally it backfires.

Occasionally you realize there is no one else in the cubbyhole with you. And then you realize that the pain of solitude is unlike no other. And that there is no one else to share your pain with.

There is no positive note here.

All I know is that the light at the end of the tunnel just got a little closer.


Jesus Paul C. Yan
for The Paul Yan Chronicles

2 comments:

minicooper29 said...

...i share your sentiments...

Paul Yan said...

then you deserve to read the original last line, which i revised for the final version. it should read:

the end just got a little bit closer.

the original context of the article was that it was written on the day where all the biorythmic indicators were at their lowest. it was edited the following day, when at least one indicator ticked up.